Heath & Sherwood

Background

It was the early 20s and the Ontario Gold Rush was in full swing. It seemed everybody was moving to Kirkland Lake. The community boasted a main street lined by no less than seven gold mines… the world famous Mile of Gold.

While the times when mine whistles blew day and night are long gone, the hardiness and resourcefulness they demanded of its people are not. The ingenuity of our founders is booming today with hard won experience for the benefit of mineral processors worldwide.

Heath & Sherwood
The legend continues

Image Gallery

First producer in Kirkland Lake, the Tough Oakes Mine. Mine buildings and miners’ homes scattered across the rocky terrain. (Museum of Northern History)
First producer in Kirkland Lake, the Tough Oakes Mine. Mine buildings and miners’ homes scattered across the rocky terrain. (Museum of Northern History)
The Kirkland Lake Gold Mine at the top of Beaver Hill photographed in 1926. Site of Heath & Sherwood head office today. (Museum of Northern History)
The Kirkland Lake Gold Mine at the top of Beaver Hill photographed in 1926. Site of Heath & Sherwood head office today. (Museum of Northern History)
The Wright Hargreaves Mine and mill in 1927. Site of Heath & Sherwood head office from 1960 to 2004. (Museum of Northern History)
The Wright Hargreaves Mine and mill in 1927. Site of Heath & Sherwood head office from 1960 to 2004. (Museum of Northern History)
The Heath & Sherwood Company founders, Clarence L. Heath and Ellsworth B. (Slim) Sherwood (Heath & Sherwood archives)
The Heath & Sherwood Company founders, Clarence L. Heath and Ellsworth B. (Slim) Sherwood (Heath & Sherwood archives)
Producing well by the late twenties, the Sylvanite Mine stems from the early days of the gold rush. Shown here in the fifties. (Museum of Northern History)
Producing well by the late twenties, the Sylvanite Mine stems from the early days of the gold rush. Shown here in the fifties. (Museum of Northern History)
The Teck Hughes Mine was a small town in itself. Many employees lived on the property, just a short walk from the centre of Kirkland Lake. (Museum of Northern History)
The Teck Hughes Mine was a small town in itself. Many employees lived on the property, just a short walk from the centre of Kirkland Lake. (Museum of Northern History)
Straddling both sides of the main thoroughfare, the Teck Hughes Mine featured a conveyor belt crossing right over Government Road. (Eddie Duke)
Straddling both sides of the main thoroughfare, the Teck Hughes Mine featured a conveyor belt crossing right over Government Road. (Eddie Duke)
In 1929, the Lake Shore Mine was the largest of the seven Kirkland Lake properties. It employed two thousand people. (Museum of Northern History)
In 1929, the Lake Shore Mine was the largest of the seven Kirkland Lake properties. It employed two thousand people. (Museum of Northern History)
The Macassa Mine, still in operation, was the last of the seven mines to be constructed on the Mile of Gold. This 1932 view shows the first headframe. (Museum of Northern History)
The Macassa Mine, still in operation, was the last of the seven mines to be constructed on the Mile of Gold. This 1932 view shows the first headframe. (Museum of Northern History)
A tough town built solely on mining: houses, headframes and miles of hard rock. Kirkland Lake in the thirties. (Museum of Northern History)
A tough town built solely on mining: houses, headframes and miles of hard rock. Kirkland Lake in the thirties. (Museum of Northern History)
During the Depression, there was always a line of men waiting at the Wright Hargreaves Mine in hopes of landing a job. (Museum of Northern History)
During the Depression, there was always a line of men waiting at the Wright Hargreaves Mine in hopes of landing a job. (Museum of Northern History)
Heath & Sherwood machine shop from the early 50s to 2002 on Duncan Avenue, site of the old Wright Hargreaves Mine. (Heath & Sherwood archives)
Heath & Sherwood machine shop from the early 50s to 2002 on Duncan Avenue, site of the old Wright Hargreaves Mine. (Heath & Sherwood archives)
The refining process took up to twenty-six steps from raw rock to finished product... gold. (Museum of Northern History)
The refining process took up to twenty-six steps from raw rock to finished product... gold. (Museum of Northern History)
The Lakeshore Mine adopted all modern innovations. Here, a miner drives an electric train, pulling ore cars without polluting precious underground air. (Museum of Northern History)
The Lakeshore Mine adopted all modern innovations. Here, a miner drives an electric train, pulling ore cars without polluting precious underground air. (Museum of Northern History)
In 1943, residents proudly received news that a frigate would carry their town name. The Kirkland Lake was launched on April 27, 1944 at Quebec City. (Museum of Northern History)
In 1943, residents proudly received news that a frigate would carry their town name. The Kirkland Lake was launched on April 27, 1944 at Quebec City. (Museum of Northern History)
Main Street, Kirkland Lake, looking west in the forties. (Mark Didine)
Main Street, Kirkland Lake, looking west in the forties. (Mark Didine)
Main Street, Kirkland Lake, looking east in the fifties. (Mark Didine)
Main Street, Kirkland Lake, looking east in the fifties. (Mark Didine)
The Strand, downtown Kirkland Lake in the fifties. (Mark Didine)
The Strand, downtown Kirkland Lake in the fifties. (Mark Didine)
Taken in 1961, another shot of the Teck Hughes overpass which welcomed visitors to the town until 1974. (S. J. “Stosh” Zima)
Taken in 1961, another shot of the Teck Hughes overpass which welcomed visitors to the town until 1974. (S. J. “Stosh” Zima)
“The Great Gold Mines of Kirkland Lake”, all seven of them on the Mile of Gold. (Mark Didine)
“The Great Gold Mines of Kirkland Lake”, all seven of them on the Mile of Gold. (Mark Didine)
Mural on Main Street in tribute to Kirkland Lake founders, Bill Wright and Gertie Oakes. (Mark Didine)
Mural on Main Street in tribute to Kirkland Lake founders, Bill Wright and Gertie Oakes. (Mark Didine)
Honoring all miners who helped build Kirkland Lake, the 40-tonne 10-meter Miners’ Memorial was inaugurated in 1994. (Miners’ Memorial Foundation)
Honoring all miners who helped build Kirkland Lake, the 40-tonne 10-meter Miners’ Memorial was inaugurated in 1994. (Miners’ Memorial Foundation)
The Toburn Gold Mine, formerly the Tough Oakes Mine, is run as a not-for-profit educational facility highlighting the area’s rich history. (Toburn Operating Authority)
The Toburn Gold Mine, formerly the Tough Oakes Mine, is run as a not-for-profit educational facility highlighting the area’s rich history. (Toburn Operating Authority)
Used in mining for over 150 years, the Canadian muck car in action. (Internet)
Used in mining for over 150 years, the Canadian muck car in action. (Internet)
4-ton muck car built for the Macassa Mine, Kirkland Lake. (Heath & Sherwood archives)
4-ton muck car built for the Macassa Mine, Kirkland Lake. (Heath & Sherwood archives)
Heath & Sherwood head office and fabrication shop on site of the old Kirkland Lake Gold Mine. (Heath & Sherwood archives)
Heath & Sherwood head office and fabrication shop on site of the old Kirkland Lake Gold Mine. (Heath & Sherwood archives)